The First White House was built between 1832-1835. On Feb 21, 1861 the Provisional Confederate Congress authorized the leasing of an Executive Mansion foe $5000.00 a year (approx $ 65,000 today).
Mrs. Davis arrived by riverboat on March 4, 1861, the same day Letitia Tyler raised the first governmental flag of the Confederacy, the "Stars and Bars" at the State Capitol. After declaring the House "suitable as a Gentleman's residence" and making arrangements for minor renovations, she returned to Brierfield, their plantation near Vicksburg near Vicksburg.
Varina returned to Montgomery with their three children, Margaret, Jeff Junior and Little Joe, and a few personal possessions and the Davis family moved into the First White House of the Confederacy and lived there during the spring of our independence until the mother state, Virgina seceded and the capital of the Confederacy moved to Richmond, Virginia.