Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Second Parlor Continued...

Yesterday I was describing the furnishings in the Second Parlor at the First White House of the Confederacy. Today I want to mention a couple of other things of interest in this beautiful room.

One is a fine Gros-Point Hearth rug, declared by Samuel Dornsife, an expert in the 19th century decorative arts, as "one of the finest hearth rugs I have seen in America". The rug has large scale flowers and leafage on a black field, the wide border in a shade of muted olive green. The sides have a decorative knotted woolen fringe.

Another item of interest is the antique gilt Pier Mirror with stand, which matches the one in the First Parlor.And the last item I want to mention is a magnificent walnut Gothic Revival Bookcase, circa 1845. You simply have to come and see this piece to appreciate it. It's crowning glory is its galleried cornice of slender Gothic arches rising to a point at the center. Inside are books which belonged to the Davis family.

I hope I have peaked your curiosity and that you will come and visit us soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment