We are always trying to make improvements to the First White House, both outside and inside. The State of Alabama, which owns the building, in recent months has had the house pressure washed on the outside, as well as the driveway. The front porch and steps have been repainted and new pine straw has been added to the grounds. It all looks quite lovely.
Regarding the artifacts inside the house, which the White House of Alabama by legislative action is responsible, the following has been done:
1. Gunboat Quilt and Baby Quilt have been conserved.
2. Kirk & Son Castellated Repoussee Coin Silver bowl, given to Mrs. Jefferson Davis by the citizens of Macon, Georgia, and auctioned recently by Heritage Auction House of Dallas, TX, has been acquired.
3. 1850's Gasolier, matching the one in our Second Parlor, has been acquired.
By way of explanation, the Gunboat Quilt is away at an exhibit called Home Front and Battlefield. It will be returned in July, 2015.
The Baby Quilt has been returned and is hanging in the upstairs hall, just outside the nursery.
The unveiling of the silver bowl was held Sept 10, with the generous help of two of the three couples who made very generous donations toward the purchase of it, Mr. & Mrs. Philip Davis and Mr. & Mrs. Price McLemore, all of Montgomery. We were very sorry the other couple, Mr. & Mrs. Richard Bowers of Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida were unable to attend. We hope they will visit soon so we can show them the bowl.
The 1850's Gasolier was given to us by Mrs. Robert Thorington, in memory of her late husband, Mr. Robert Thorington. Both this one and its mate need conservation. We are currently in the process of raising funds toward this project. If anyone would like to donate, it can be done easily through our pay pal account on our website, www.firstwhitehouse.org.