Monday, February 27, 2012

Jefferson Davis And "Wicked"

I saw the play Wicked for the third time last weekend. I was so moved by the lyrics. I couldn't help but think perhaps President Davis might have spoken some of these words to Varina when he was put in prison:

"It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime, so let me say before we part, so much of me is made up of what I learned from you. You'll be with me, like a handprint on my heart and now whatever way our stories end, I know you have re-written mine by being my friend...because I knew you, I have been changed for good."

"...And just to clear the air, I ask forgiveness, for the things I've done you blame me for, But then, I guess we know, there's blame to share, and none of it seems to matter anymore. Like a comet pulled from obit, as it passes a sun/ like a stream that meets a boulder/ half-way through the wood. Like a ship blown off its mooring/ by a wind off the sea/ like a seed dropped by a bird in the wood. Who can say if I've been changed for the better? I do believe I have been changed for the better. And because I knew you...I have been changed for good!"

Yes, I think Jefferson might have said these words to Varina, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment